Session Number: 04
Track: Professional Development Workshops
Session Type: Professional Development Workshops
PD Workshop Lead Presenter: Michael Quinn Patton [Founder & Director - Utilization-Focused Evaluation]
Time: Nov 11, 2019 (09:00 AM - 04:00 PM)
Room: Mon-Tues 04
Audience Level: Intermediate
Learning Outcomes (PD Workshops): Participants will learn:
1. The niche and nature of developmental evaluation (DE)
2. Five purposes and applications of developmental evaluation
3. The relationship between complexity, systems thinking, and DE
4. The use of the GUIDE framework for principles-focused evaluation
5. The particular challenges, strengths, and weaknesses of developmental evaluation.
6. The 8 essential principles for designing and conducting developmental evaluations.
Prerequisites (PD Workshops): Knows basic purpose distinctions (summative, formative, accountability, M&E)
Session Abstract (150 words):
Developmental evaluation (DE) guides innovative initiatives in complex dynamic environments. Principles-focused evaluation (P-FE) is one special application of DE focused on evaluating adherence to effectiveness principles for achieving results and guiding adaptive action. The eight essential principles of DE will be examined and applied through the lens of P-FE. Participants will learn to use the GUIDE framework for P-FE, an acronym specifying the criteria for high-quality principles: (G) guidance for action, (U) utility, (I) inspiration, (D) developmental adaptation, and (E) evaluable. Participants will apply the GUIDE framework on their own projects. Principles-focused developmental evaluation guides innovative initiatives in navigating the uncertainties and turbulence of complex dynamic systems. Integrating DE and P-FE moves beyond project/program evaluation to evaluate strategies, collaborations, diverse interventions, and systems change initiatives. Complexity concepts and systems thinking will be incorporated as undergirding both DE and P-FE. Participants will learn DE and P-FE methods, designs, applications, and uses.