Blue Marble Evaluation Resources
- Blue Marble Evaluators Webinar Series
- March 16, 2016 - Introducing Blue Marble Evaluators
- April 20, 2016 - Global Systems Evaluation Competencies & Praxis
- May 18, 2016 - Examples of Global Systems Evaluation
- Learn the lyrics for the Blue Marble Evaluators Anthem
Here are a few interesting links to help you develop a "Blue Marble Perspective":
The Blue Marble Shot from NASA - the original Blue Marble Perspective
Watch the History of Europe in 3 minutes - which shows how significantly borders have changed over time.
Watch "The DNA Journey" by Momondo, which illustrates that we are all more interconnected than we realize.
Systems thinking is at the heart of what it means to be an effective Blue Marble Evaluator.
- Wicked Solutions, by Bob Williams - a great e-book on systems thinking
- Chapter 5 in Developmental Evaluation by Michael Quinn Patton - more on systems thinking and complexity
- Connecting the Dots in 2015 for Sustainable Development by Paula Caballero, Senior Director of Environment and Natural Resources, the World Bank, published 5/27/15 - a blog post describing the importance of global systems thinking to solve global challenges
- World Systems Analysis, Immanuel Wallerstein - a digestable primer on world systems analysis by the preeminent scholar and author
Our invitation is to read through these resources and try to see the connections between these issues. How do they influence one another? How are they interrelated? Are the solutions aimed at addressing them similarly connected?
- General Global Issues & Globalization
- Beyond Borders: Thinking Critically About Global Issues by Paula Rothernberg
- Introducing Global Issues, Michael & Neil Snarr
- Global Issues, Richard J. Payne
- Global Issues: Selections from CQ Researcher
- Global Issues, an Introduction, John L. Seitz and Kristen A. Hite
- The Globalization of War, Michel Chossudovsky
- The Globalization of Racism, Donaldo Macedo
- Global Warring: How Environmental, Economic, and Political Crises Will Redraw the World Map, Cleo Paskal
- Conservation & the Environment
- E.O. Wilson on Saving Half the Earth - an interview with biologist E.O. Wilson, author of "Half the Earth", and expert on biodiversity and conservation
- The Silwood Group Agenda and Theory of Change around connecting Conservation and Evaluation
- The Sixth Extinction by Elizabeth Kolbert - a detailed account of the ongoing loss of species during the present epoch, mainly due to human activity
- Heat is piling up in the depths of the oceans, by Brian Kahn - a blog in Climate Central that discusses the unprecedented rise in the heat content over the past decade
- Lies you've been told about the Pacific garbage patch, by Annalee Newitz - a blog post that sheds light on the ocean ecosystem and its interactions with the plastic that has been introduced by humans
- Hunger & Food Security
- Immigration & Refugees
- Story map of the Syrian Refugee crisis - a visual depiction of the global scope of this issue. For the first time since WWII there are 50 million refugees worldwide.
- Gender Equity
- Read about a Global Initiative to Ensure Women Artists Gain Traction in Museums - a story by Susan Raab in the Non-Profit Quarterly on June 19 2015
We also encourage you to dig into the Sustainable Development Goals, which were adopted on September 25th 2015 to end poverty, protect the planet, and ensure prosperity for all as part of a new sustainable development agenda. Also, check out EvalSDGs for information on how the SDGs are being evaluated.
Have another great resource to share? Email us!